From:
"E. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:23:08 -0500
With natural history collections, trying to photograph every object would
take a huge commitment of resources.  We currently have approximately 10
million bugs.  We can't catalog them individually much less photograph each
one.  We, too, are beginning to photograph objects for the catalog.  Our
priorities are - type specimens (holotypes, paratypes, etc.), referenced
specimens, taxa unique to our collections, unusual or rare specimens, and
threatened and endangered species. This will be enough to keep us busy for
quite some time.  After that we can deal with the remaining objects of the
21 million in our collections.  Unlike art or artifact collections, we do
have great numbers of specimens that are similar.  How many of the 1000
Sciurus carolinensis really need to be photographed?

I would agree with your botanis and entomologist on this one.  For those
departments with large collections, I would prioritize, evaluate the impact
on available resources (time of staff to photograph, $ to print photos, $
to store negatives and prints properly, $ to scan images into the catalog,
etc.) and then reprioritize if necessary.

Dr. Elizabeth A. Moore, Curator
Virginia Museum of Natural History
1001 Douglas Avenue
Martinsville, VA  24112