From:
Angela Putney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 16:46:26 -0700

Stephen Nowlin writes:
>Why not do both?  It doesn't seem that it need be an "either-or" situation,
>unless AAM feels it would be unfair to publish job opportunities promptly
>on the web when the same listings wouldn't reach their print readers for
>weeks.

Other societies and groups have successfully published information both on
the web and on paper. The local chapter of my alumni association sends the
monthly newsletter to your e-mail address if you have one and a paper copy
to your home if you don't have e-mail or you wish it sent anyway. The
American Astronomical Society does something similar with its monthly job
register as well. They send a list of the jobs to members with e-mail and
send the full listing, on paper, to those who don't have e-mail or who request
it. The computer savvy can then go to the web page and read the full listings
there, and no password is needed to read the on-line job register.
However, the AAS only updates the on-line register once a month. I could
easily put someone at AAM in contact with either of these groups if they
wish to consider this and want more information.

                                                        Angela Putney