From:
Collections Dude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 09:20:30 -0600
Matt (flame proof) White has a lot of good points.  I too have encouraged
students to get as much inside experience as possible if they want a job in a
museum.  Thus volunteering, doing internships and minimum wage grunt work will
help to establish a resume.  However, from personal experience, I can say that
a degree in Museum Studies is recoginzed by potential employers, but the job is
won through previous museum experience, and that can only be obtained by working
(in one capacity or another) in a museum.  However the reverse is not
necessarily true, experience with no degrees is a hard fought job search, this
had been the case for me at one time, kinda pi#@ed me off.  Now I'm happy, and
2 yrs. ago when this job was listed, only 14 applications were recieved.  So I
don't know how accurate Matt's comment of 100's of app's being recieved for
a job is.

Terry Vidal
UNI Museum