From:
philip terrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 10:00:54 -0400
Hi, John. Long time no see.

I'm not on this list, but Chris Geist forwarded to me the query about the
Adirondack Museum and Cooperstown. Since I used to work at the Adirondack
Museum and still do lots of consulting for them, I thought I'd respond.
The current Director is Jackie Day, the Curator of Education is Daisy
Kelley. The phone number is 518-352-7311. The Adirondack Museum is a
terrific local history museum. Its strengths are exhibits on logging,
mining, transportation, outdoor recreation, and hotels and camps. It also
has a first-class collection of American art, practically none of which
is on display this year. There is a temporary exhibit (which I guest
curated) on landscape change and history, using selections from the
nearly 70,000 historic photos in its collection. The chief weakness is
too little attention paid to local life, especially of women. The new
Director has some excellent plans to change this. I was just up there
last weekend: the fall color was absolutely splendid. It's starting to
fade, but there should be some left for you. It will be spectacular
around Cooperstown. I was there (C'town) last summer, btw, and you should
be warned that the Fenimore House is closed for renovations.

Have a good trip, and let me know how it goes.

Philip G. Terrie                      "Few fully understand what the
American Culture Studies Program      Adirondack wilderness really
Bowling Green State University        is. It is a mystery even to those
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0237          who have crossed and recrossed it by
[log in to unmask]                boats along its avenues, the lakes;
(419) 372-2785                        and on foot through its vast and
(419) 372-8886 (ACS office)           silent recesses."
(419) 372-7537 (fax)                     -- Verplanck Colvin, 1874