From:
Laurel Heap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:01:37 -0700
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming response
regarding the types of database systems being used at your museums.  I am, quite
honestly, treading in uncharted territory so all this information has been very
informative and useful.  One thing I have learned over the past few days is that
I probably was asking the wrong question.  I thought all I needed was a database
and everything would be peachy, but I have since learned that the database is
only the underworking system which basically houses the data and what I really
need is to know what kinds of collection management software is available.  I
know exactly what I want for our museum and I guess now the problem is finding
the software.

I have a type of "wish list" of what I want the front end software to offer,
however I'm afraid of running into the problems described by Mr. Morrow, that of
having a customized database designed for our needs then no support in the
future.  I would appreciate the names of vendors you have found to be of good
reputation and phone numbers or email addresses if you have them.  Again, thank
you all for your insight.

Sincerly,

Laurel Heap
Utah Museum of Natural History