From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:29:39 -0600

Caitlin and all,

I did not mean to give the impression that I was criticizing art museums. I

work in one, and I/we are proud of what we do and how we do it. Sure, we

would like to bring more visitors in, get more people involved, etc, but we

have to work with the resources we are given or can acquire. We are not

normally intentionally motivated by elitism, nor do we seek to exclude any

particular segment of society. I think Caitlin's suggestion is correct;

most of what we and the public are perceiving as elitism is left over from

centuries of it being treated that way from both sides. It is an

anachronism that needs to be undermined in some way.

Art tends to be elitist by its nature, and there is a certain degree of

elitism that is natural to the field as a result. I believe art museums

tend to act and react in response to the nature of art and the art world.

The notion of artistic expression and the variety of esoteric forms it can

take is often not an easy concept to incorporate into your world view. The

public generally prefers easy, and many art museums/exhibitions are

definitely not easy. I work in an institution which focuses its attention

on contemporary avant garde art, which adds another layer to the pile. The

difficulty seems to be in expressing the information to the general public

in a way that will interest them enough to attend an exhibition and inform

them enough to want to see more.

I do not believe the Met, National gallery, Louvre, etc are not good

examples of the issue we are talking about. They are big enough, famous

enough, and well-funded enough, that they have become destinations in their

own right. The public goes to those places as much to see the place as the

art, and their disproportionate visitation can be attributed in large part

to reputation. Of course, their collections are fantastic, but the

interpretation of the individual works of art is not better than we have

right here, and the visitors are not going away with any higher level of

understanding of the art they have just seen.

Perhaps that is part of the problem. Smaller institutions that are trying

to protect, exhibit and interpret art for their communities can not compete

with the mega-museums on the same level and can not provide the general

public with the "Wow, there was so much stuff that I can not remember a

darned thing" experience that they seem to be looking for. It is not easy

enough. Everyone remembers seeing the Mona Lisa and the glass pyramid, but

the rest of the Louvre is a multi-day long blur of sculpture and art that

boggles the mind. If I ever personally make it to New York, the Met is at

the top of my list, but for no other reason than it is the Met.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Caitlin McQuade

             <caitlin.mcquade@

             SBCGLOBAL.NET>                                             To

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Re: Art Gallery Problem

             03/07/2005 06:17

             PM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I’d like to understand the reasons that art museums choose the exhibition

techniques and programming that they do. Perhaps choices that look as if

they’re motivated by elitism have some other impulse behind them. And if

those who’d like to reform art museums understood the motivating forces,

maybe we could find techniques and programs that satisfied both “old” and

“new” standards.

Here’s a speculative example:  In a history or science museum, an object’s

significance depends a lot on information not inherent in the object——its

historical or scientific context. Exhibit techniques and programs therefore

work hard to provide visitors with the context. In an art museum, an

object’s significance lies much more (though not exclusively) in inherent

qualities of the original object. A priority of the interpretive work in an

art museum, then, is not to obscure the object. Hence the minimal labeling.

What kind of interpretive tools could help visitors enjoy an original

artwork’s inherent qualities without obscuring them?

Another example: We’re familiar with the “temple” model of museums. If

those

making decisions about a museum’s environment want to attract more visitors

while still creating a place for meditation, how might they design their

spaces and programs?

Of course, there are people who disagree about the fundamental purposes of

art museums, so naturally the interpretive methods they choose would be

incompatible. Is criticism leveled at art museums in this thread as deeply

rooted as this, do you think?

In the end, it may be useful only up to a point to talk about “art

museums,”

in general. As someone pointed out, the Metropolitan, the Louvre, the

national galleries in D.C. and London——these places don’t suffer from

attendance problems. And I have appreciated the label-less Barnes or

Pulitzer foundations’ displays just as well as the (tiny!) interactive

gallery at the De Cordova. People go to art museums for different reasons;

art museums exist for different reasons. Variety is good. Let’s figure out

way to make more.

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).