From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:26:21 -0400
On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Jill Aszling wrote:

> We store approximately 300 framed signed prints from our student lending
> collection in rolling wood bins; these were made for us when we moved into
> our new building in 1985.  They are made of 3/4 inch birch plywood and have
> held up very well.

When I took a preventive conservation workshop at the Smithsonian in 1987
the conservators recommended board lumber as opposed to plywood for
storage areas.  This is because the adhesives used in plywood and particle
board give off formaldehyde fumes, which are undesirable from a preservation
point of view.

They also suggested that the board lumber be sealed with shellac.

--Helen Glazer
Exhibitions Director and Collection Coordinator
Goucher College, Baltimore, MD, USA