From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:03:16 -0400
There was a funny hotel on W. 81st St. between CPW and Columbus,
directly opposite the Natural History museum that I stayed in once about
15-20 years ago.  Very inexpensive and clean, certainly no frills, but
the personnel were rather brusque. Lots of people in the hotel seemed to
be permanent residents. I tried to look it up online and it seems to be
the Excelsior, but if it's the same place, it's super-expensive now
(cheapest room seems to be $229 on a weekday).

In 2001 I stayed at the surprisingly nice Best Western Woodward on W.
55th St.  It was undergoing renovations at the time so I got my room for
about $110/night.  Sure enough, it is now called the Majestic and is
more than double that price.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN