From:
"John C. Rumm" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:43:37 -0500
Dear Katherine:

An excellent starting-point for your purposes (as well as a good read for students) would be the proceedings of the "Museums for
the New Millennium" symposium which was organized by, and held at, the Smithsonian Institution in 1996 as part of its 150th
anniversary.  There were some terrific presentations, including one by Jennifer Jarratt, a futurist, on what the world may be like in
2025 and what museums might look like then; one by Harold Skramstad on changing public expectations of museums; several on
the general theme of "The Future of Museums: Asking the Right Questions": and symposium chair Richard Kurin's closing
thoughts on "The Museum World: What's Hot, What's Not; What's Out, What's In" and his brilliant (and wickedly funny) Top 15 list
of "the most memorable museum events of the next millennium."

The proceedings of the symposium were available on the Smithsonian's website in 1998 when I downloaded and printed out a
copy for myself; I don't know if they're still available there or not, or if they were ever published.  (If you can locate the transcript of
the proceedings, it has some wonderful comments from audience members that, I suspect, would not have made their way into a
published version of the proceedings.)

Collegially,

John C. Rumm
Catholic Heritage Center