From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:15:38 +1200
Hello List Members and friends,

You or may not be aware that a well-known museum colleague from the USA ,
Roger Wulff, died suddenly and at a early age.  He has just set up a
conservation-style lodge in Berlize with his wife Gerry.

Although I never met him, Roger was active on the museum lists and a
regular correspondent. I liked his approach to life

I therefore decided that as Gerry (his wife) would be facing a HUGE
challenge I would 'donate' a free advertising banner to her cause on my
websites, as an unsolicited expression of support.

It occurred to me that others such as yourself, might feel the same and be
in a similar position to help her?  She doesn't know that I am contacting
colleagues about this bye the way - just seems like a neat project they have
in Berlize and she could do with some help.

If you feel so inclined and want to join me in this undertaking  I can send
you a web banner (or you might make one of your own) ,and make the link to
http://www.theredjaguar.com.  Alternatively, perhaps you could mention their
lodge in your print mail-outs to colleagues and friends?  I must stress that
this is a personal response and not an advertising gimmick!  You can see how
I have placed the banner at this web address
http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/More_Careers/more_careers.html

Gerry wrote to me two days ago with a little details of her late husband and
I found it very touching.  She said:

" He helped me survive breast cancer in 1999.  He was my main care giver and
responsible for what courage I possessed.  We moved here in 2001 with the
dream of building our inn and spending our remaining days together.  And,
that we did.  We had finished the first two stages, that of building our
"tree house" and the two large guest suites.  We also worked with the
Friends of Conservation to get Trash Collection initiated in our village,
the first such village-initiated and run entity in Belize.  Roger was
vice-chairman and I am Secretary of the Committee that guides the Program.
We were both serving on the citizens' committee to plan events for our
national holidays, beginning September 10 with the Battle of St. George's
Cay through the 21st, Independence Day.  Had Roger not died suddenly, he
would have gone to Jordan yesterday, on a contract which would have been a
highlight of his career and would have earned some nice money.  Then, we
would have had our grand opening when he returned.  But alas, it is not my
fate to have money!
Having had a man who was husband, lover, and best friend was my fate!

I decided to inter Roger here in Belize because he loved it here and this is
where I will stay.  I will carry on with our plans, maybe not the same way
we would have together.  But now, we means my village and I.  They embraced
us from the beginning and they have done everything for me these past ten
days.  I will go on with the Trash Committee and I will keep the Red Jaguar
that Roger loved so dearly.  It was our method of coming to Belize.  The
Village Council is going to name the canoe race that is part of any event
here after Roger and we may start a foundation for the betterment of this
village. "

So if you are a position to help keep their dream alive and would like a web
banner to do so, email me at the address below and I will send one to you

with warmest best wishes to all
Roger (Smith)