From:
Richard Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 16:44:54 -0700
>You will find a full listing of the events at The Art Museum,
>Princeton University, through Princeton's gopher.  Apparently, enough
>museums have begun to list themselves on the internet for the
>Chronicle of Higher Education to publish an article on the subject
>recently.  (Sorry, I don't have the issue date.)  You might find more
>information there.
>
>Leigh Faden

I have a little more info. I cited the article referred to above for an
electronic journal I write for; Current Cites (see URL
gopher://infolib.lib.berkeley.edu:72/11/ejrnls/Current.Cites
if you are interested). I've included the citation below; it had *some*
internet addresses of current museum efforts, but was by no means
comprehensive.
-----------------------
DeLoughry, Thomas J. "Museums Go High-Tech". Chronicle of Higher
Education. XLI(3) Sept. 14, 1994: A47,A49. -- As an introduction to the
world of information technology in museums, this article offers a brief,
concise guide. It touches upon some of the salient issues facing museums
using new technology, from the need to garner administrative commitment to
improving services with technology, to the changing nature of the
traditional, quiet, museum-going experience. A variety of approaches to
using technology are covered, from a WWW site at the Krannert Art Museum
<http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/UIUC/KrannertArtMuseum/KrannertArtHome.html>
to a kiosk at the Michael C. Carlos museum that allows visitors to "play"
an ancient flute in the museum's collection by choosing various finger
positions via a multimedia kiosk and hearing the resulting sound. One of
the most useful parts of the article is the sidebar listing addresses of
several museum efforts on the Internet. The article ends by making the
point that new developments in the 'virtual museum' will not replace the
traditional museum, but will draw new types of visitors and increase
interest in the museums of the future.
On this note, I noticed that a recent paper from the Clinton administration
on the NII listed as a high priority the need to compile a comprehensive
list of museum programs online and their internet addresses. Is the Musuem
Computer Network perhaps working on something like this; or perhaps some
enterprising library school student somewhere?

Richard Rinehart              | University Art Museum / Pacific Film Archive
Information Systems Manager   | University of California at Berkeley
[log in to unmask] | 2625 Durant, Berkeley, CA 94720-2250