From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 13:18:25 EDT
Mary Ames Sheret,  Collections Manager, Southern Oregon Historical Society
wrote:

>>We have all the information on legal forms and on a computerized cataloging
system (ARGUS)
>>so why do we need this hand-written ledger?

Richard Gerrard, Registrar, Collections Management, Toronto Historical Board
wrote:

>Mary, the short answer to your question is, we don't need the hand-written
ledger.

Gotta jump in on this one. I have to agree with Robert Baron and the Registrars
Committee of the American Association of Museums. Accession registers (ledgers)
are legal documents that provide a continum of assigned accession numbers.
Perhaps one does not need to record the infinite detail that one can include in
a computerized catalogue, but well-kept ledgers are another line of
documentation and are protection against a number of evils, including employee
dishonesty.

Please contact the RC-AAM for reprints of the article Mr. Baron cites:
 _Registrar_ (Fall 1991, Vol. 8, No. 2, p. 41 ff)

contact: Mary Lohrenz, Curator, Collections
Mississippi State Historical Museum
PO Box 571
Jackson MS 39205-0571
601.359.6926 voice
601.359.6981 fax

Gutenkauf
Diane Gutenkauf, Curator
Elmhurst Historical Museum
120 E. Park Avenue
Elmhurst, IL 60126 USA

Voice: +(708) 833-1457
  Fax: +(708) 833-1326
Email: [log in to unmask] (Internet)
       74547,377                (CompuServe)

(My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of any organization with which
I am affiliated)