From:
Lin Nelson-Mayson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:00:33 -0500
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:37:53 +0000, Roeland Stulemeijer
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear colleagues,
>
>Our museum is in the process of developing travelling exhibitions. My
>questions are for those that have dealt or are dealing with travelling
>exhibitions;
>
>-       To what degree does the Conservator stay involved in a travelling
>exhibition?
>-       Is there a need for the Conservator to examine the artefacts in
between
>locations, after each transportation?
>-       Does a Conservator go over to the other venues/museums to check on
the
>facilities, to see if the environment for the artefacts will be the same or
>similar? (RH, Temp even safety wise)
>
>I could be overreacting to travelling exhibitions but I am much rather safe
>then sorry.
>Your candid reactions, on and off list, will be very much appreciated.
>
>Kind Regards,
>Roeland Stulemeijer
>Conservator
>National University of Singapore Museums
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>Tel: (+ 65) 6874 8817
>Fax: (+ 65) 6778 3738
>50 Kent Ridge Crescent
>Singapore 119279

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by
sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The
body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

This is one of those great opportunities to say (with complete
confidence) "It depends!"  Of course, you will request and review each
potential site's facilities report that details their ability (both from a
staffing and physical facility perspective) to host your exhibition. From
then on, the involvement of the conservator is large part depents on the
objects involved in the exhibition. If the objects are particularly fragile
or problematic in their installation or sensative to exposure (paper,
textiles, etc.), the conservator or registrar should be scheduled to check
on the exhibition on a regular basis. This may mean that, as part of the
cost of the exhibition to the venue, a visit by the conservator/registrar
is scheduled to coincide with the unpacking or repacking of the
exhibition.  It also may be the oppourtunity to swap out particularly
seneative objects with suitable replacement for the next venue (for
example - a drawing for another similar drawing).