From:
Patricia Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:49:43 +0000
Dear Colleagues,

Please find following details of the sixth EMAC conference.

With best wishes,

Pat

Pat Reynolds

Surrey Museums Development Officer

               VI EMAC – European Museum Advisors Conference

                             June 24-28, 2006

                             Budapest, Hungary

                  Supporting Museums in Achieving Quality

At last, the long awaited VI EMAC is shaping up! It will not only reveal

hidden treasures of Eastern Europe but will provide an opportunity to

immerse in the pleasures of the Museums’ Night in a newly joined member of

the European Union.

The conference

The Pulszky Society – Hungarian Museum Association and the Foundation for

Museums and Visitors with the support of the Hungarian Ministry for

Cultural Heritage organizes the VI EMAC in Budapest between June 24-28,

2006.

The conference addresses all the European professionals working within

museum support organisations – ministries, cultural departments, cultural

associations, training centres, foundations, etc. – as well as independent

advisors, and sets itself as an occasion for exchange on issues of common

interest.

In previous years, EMAC has been held in Great Britain (1992), Germany

(1993), The Netherlands (1996), Italy (1999), and Belgium (2001) each time

being organised by the hosting country and with the participation of

approximately one hundred delegates each year.

EMAC is an informal network gathering individuals and institutions dealing

with museums, but doesn’t have statutory or coordinating  bodies, an office

or specific sources of funding; therefore,  the conference originates from

the desire to give continuity to the process of mutual knowledge and

exchange begun in former  years and from the willingness of the two

Hungarian non-profit organizations that took the organisational tasks upon

themselves.

The conference is therefore open to all those who are interested in the

issues under discussion and want to communicate  with colleagues from other

countries, also to find out more about  museum advisory organisations all

over Europe.

The theme

“Supporting Museums in Achieving Quality” has been chosen as the main theme

of the conference, after hearing comments and suggestions from participants

from previous years. Issues such as the changing functions of advisors,

their flexibility and adaptibility to the changing sitiation; instruments

of changes (training etc); quality versus public success and networking or

cooperation as a tool for enhancing quality will be discussed. (See a draft

version of schedule attached.)

Those interested in presenting significant experiences related to the

conference theme, are kindly asked to send their proposals to Aniko

Korenchy-Misz  - Foundation for Museums and Visitors (

[log in to unmask]) until March 5, 2006.

All those proposing a paper will be contacted personally and notified about

the acceptance of their proposal.

The programme

Participants will arrive on June 23rd, Friday and the programme starts on

June 24th, Saturday. There will be plenary sessions in ENGLISH and work in

groups, besides excursions and visits to local museums, in particular to

institutions which offer the possibility of continuing discussion and

further explore the themes addressed by the conference. Saturday night,

delegates will have the opportunity to join the various events of the

Museums’ Night in Budapest. The closing ceremony and the farewell party

will be on the evening of the 27th, Tuesday but on Wednesday, we will

organize some more visits to museums in Budapest.

A more detailed programme of the conference will be made available later

on. The update will also be available on Internet: www.mlalapitvany.hu

The venue

The conference will be held at CEU  Conference Center in Budapest (Kerepesi

út 87., 1106 Budapest, Hungary), which can be visited via the Internet on:

www.ceucenter.hu.

Hotel accomodation

Participants will also be accomodated at the CEU  Conference Center in

Budapest (Kerepesi út 87., 1106 Budapest, Hungary). Prices (to be paid

directly to the hotel):

|------------+--------------------------|

| Single room| 40 Euro/room/night       |

|            |                          |

|------------+--------------------------|

| Double room| 48 Euro/room/night       |

|------------+--------------------------|

The price of the rooms includes buffet breakfast, the use of  the swimming

pool, the sauna and the fitness room as well as all taxes.

Please book your rooms on the attached booking form by the conditions

listed on the form.

There is a limited number of apartments available upon requests for those

coming with families (see prices on the attached booking form), but it is

advisable to book early.

Accompanying persons’ programme will also be organized (for a fee of appr.

250 Euro)  if there are at least 20 interested people. So please mark on

your registration form if your relatives would like to participate in those

programmes.

The registration fee

The registration fee is 70.000,-HUF (appr. 278,- Euro) for those

registering and paying before April 17, 2006 and 80.000,-HUF (appr. 318,-

Euro) for those registering after that date.

The fee covers all meals and refreshments, excursions and the documentation

provided during the conference.

There may be Grundtvig grants available to support your participation.

Please contact your National Socrates Office (

http://europa.eu.int/comm/education/programmes/socrates/nat-est_en.html).

(For addresses of national offices and deadlines in different countries you

may also contact Aniko Korenchy-Misz at ([log in to unmask])

This email and any attachments with it are intended for the addressee only.

It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or professional privilege.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or [log in to unmask]

The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position.

Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming and outgoing mail.

Whilst every care has been taken to check this outgoing e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any checks upon receipt.

Visit the Surrey County Council website - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk