From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 23:22:29 -0800
Just a couple of thoughts.  Paint the ends with latex paint if you decide
to store it in the garage for a couple (or half a dozen) years.

Or, if you can find a stock watering tank, put the log therein, fill it
with water and build a fire under it.  Boil the water for a few hours to
reduce the water soluble compounds from the log, drain the water, let
things cool down, remove the log and paint the ends with latex paint.

Another alternative is to soak the log in a tank full of sugar water.
Trust me on this; I'm at home and the references are at the lab.  Sugar
will displace some of the soluble materials and help provide a structure
to resist collapse of cell walls.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR