From:
Nadine Davignon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:04:27 -0500
Hello everybody.

I am just finishing an internship in a
kind of science center that will open year 2000.
(Le Centre interactif des sciences de Montréal,
http://www.svpm.ca/isci)

As a museology student, my work was to propose them
a OBJECT MANAGEMENT POLICY, with procedures
and object management software.
But I had to face their particular
NON-COLLECTING mission statement.
In fact, they want to have
some kind of "virtual collection" on the WEB
of all the objects related to their
exhibits or activities, but no real object.

My question is about the policy itself.
I was wondering if any art exhibition center,
or other science center had faced this situation
when writing their own object management policy.
(Everything is always written for collecting museums only).
I was also asking myself if they do have
written object policies.
(I have asked a few Quebec art centers and they didn't).
As  exhibition center professionnals, some of you have probably faced
potential donators, or maybe have been
forced to keep some object, or "deaccession" it
(maybe "dispose" would be a better word) .
How do you deal with that in your written policies
or in practice?

Nadine