From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:22:39 -0700
I'll second the suggestion of looking for a separate film scanner to do
your negatives and slides, rather than trying to make a flatbed scanner
work for them.  I used to have to work with a lid-type adapter for a
flatbed to scan slides--the directions were to actually >tape< the
slides to the adapter to hold them in place (not what I wanted to do
with archival slides, but that was all we had), and the scans always
came out fuzzy.  At my urging, a proper (if lower-end) film scanner was
purchased for about $700.00 CDN (two or three years ago)--much better
results.

It's been my experience that you need different lighting requirements
to scan film than a flatbed scanner is really set up for--anything that
tried to make a flatbed do the job of a film scanner is going to
compromise quality, and is that what you want to produce prints for sale
to researchers?

On the other hand, 1200X2400 dpi resolution should be more than enough
for desktop printing onto 8.5 x 11" paper.  You might want more if
you'll need to produce large blow-ups, but depending on the frequency
you'll need that, you may be better off having the occasional large
graphic produced out-of-house.

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/19/04 09:40PM >>>
I am looking for advice on which of two scanners to purchase for our
historical society.  We will be scanning photographs, negatives, and
slides
for archival purposes to retire the originals as well as to sell prints
researchers.  We had two computer consultants work up quotes for us,
but
they each choose totally different equipment.  The choice for the two
scanners are either a lower resolution scanner with a seprate tray for
slides, negatives, etc (1200x2400 dpi) or a scanner with a higher
resolution but with the adapter in the lid (3200x6400dpi).  Which is
more
important, the tray or the higher resolution?  I would be grateful for
any
advice on this topic.

Katherine McLeister
Theatre Historical Society of America

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies