From:
Nancy Pope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:11:45 -0500
What's even more frightening is that the same thing happened to a friend of mine when she left a position! Maybe there should be a chapter devoted to "collections as retirement gifts."

Nancy Pope

Nancy A. Pope
Curatorial Office
National Postal Museum
Smithsonian Institution
2 Massachusetts Ave., N.E.
PO Box 75039
Washington, DC 20002

202-633-9381
202-633-9393 (fax)
http://www.si.edu/postal

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/20/02 09:04AM >>>
How about the time when...

Someone I know, who was leaving a museum job (for another museum job) in the mid-1980s, was presented with a gift by the director at a formal going-away party.  Sometime later, I think, when he got home and began examining the gift, he made a horrifying discovery.  Yes, a museum accession number!

Must confess, I don't recall how this ended, but he wasn't the type to go along with such idiocy.  Perhaps he'll send along his version.

Dean Krimmel, Director
University of Maryland School of Nursing Museum
655 W. Lombard Street, Room 502B
Baltimore, Maryland  21201-1579
USA
(tel) 410-706-1502; (fax) 410-706-0399