From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:45:35 -0600
Mike,

Public history is an excellent field, for both history and museum work.
Unfortunately there are lots of PH grads who are also competing with the MS
grads for similar positions. I certainly do not have any desire to
discourage anyone, because I love museum work and encourage anyone I can to
give it a go. There are however some difficult elements to finding that one
cool job. It took me several positions and about a decade before I really
decided where I needed to be, but then I did not have me to get resume and
career direction advice from at that point. It may not sound rosy, but most
of us will have a period of frustration and seraching for our proper place
in the field before we find it. There is a job out there for all of us and
a place we can use all of our skills, but it will not necessarily be easy
to find.

I do not believe that is significantly different in any other professional
field.

I am thinking your previous career would be very useful in a new museum
setting. Adding knowledge of history to your public administration and
personnel management should be of great benefit, unless you are wanting to
go into collection care or something. Off the top of my head, you would be
a strong candidate for a directorial/administrative position somewhere.
History curation might also be an alternative you would enjoy.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Mike Flinton
             <mike.flinton@GMA
             IL.COM>                                                    To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: Professional advice

             11/07/2005 01:27
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Hi all,

I'm both enjoying, and concerned about, the comments on this issue.

As a baby-boomer-career-changer, I'm a third of the way through pursuing a
graduate degree in Public History. Based onl various online discussions
I've seen on career opportunities for those with graduate degrees in public
history, along with Mark's comments on this subject, I'm beginning to
rethink my major and second career choice.

Though history has been a life-long interest, pursuit and pleasure for me,
as someone who already holds a masters in public administration, I imagine
I'm not alone in wanting more than entry level jobs and internships.

Can anyone offer positive advice or resources for those of us who may
already have had one successful career (i.e. adult education/higher
education, grant administration and personnel management) or does that old
adage "Do what you love and the money will follow." not apply to the field
of public history or museum & historical agency management?

Thanks from Upstate New York