From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:46:33 -0500
A well-versed museum professional ought to have a good liberal arts
education, in my view.   If graduate work in a museum specialty seems
relevant, it may be worth pursuing on its own merits.

In some ways, the field is similar to the journalistic arena -- now
overpopulated with folks having "communications" degrees, but who can't
really get a good grasp on the realities of life.  The best journalists may
be those who learned on the job AFTER a strong education in the liberal arts
and sciences.

We think of clergy as being seminary-trained.  But some denominations, at
least, now require that an individual have at least one year of real-life
work experience BEFORE going to seminary.

I hope the museum field continues to enjoy the benefit of outstanding and
earnest folks who "gravitate" into it.  It would be, in my view, a sad
development if we were left with only those "taught" museum work by
professors who all listen to the same colleagues, read the same materials,
and publish to keep their jobs.