From:
Alan Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:11:40 -0700
The way that I interpret their statement is that they are not necessarily
saying they own copyrights to the specimens (because they would not be able
to under British Law) but instead are trying to control all photography of
the specimens through contract law.  (The photography, not the specimens
would be copyrightable, by the way.)  By having people sign their statement,
they are setting up a contract which sets up some controls of the
photography, possibly transferring all copyrights to the museum.  If a
photographer then publishes this photography without proper permission, they
would be breaking a contract.  This would then be a case for contract law
and not copyright law.  If a photographer does not sign this form, and were
somehow still able to photograph, they would have the freedom to publish
their images because they would own copyrights to the photography.
Commercial publication of  specimen or object photography from a museum can
be a big revenue generator.  It would be in the museum's best interest to
control all photography of their collection.  It is also important to
carefully balance this control with proper educational and scholarly
access...

Alan Miller
Photo Archivist/ Rights and Permissions Coordinator
Seattle Art Museum