From:
Nicholson/Salzberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:45:21 -0600
The fact of the matter is that the rate at which technology is changing is
precisely the thing you should be considering as you decide what to collect.

I was curator responsible for technology collections at two museums, and in
the end, I settled on the idea that I would document the technology that was
important to MY geographic area.  If there were hardware businesses in my
state, then we would look at collecting significant pieces.  I know that
there are museums that are making it their business to deal with technology.
They are better equipped to do it than most run-of-the-mill museums.

I also question the value of static technology pieces.  I'm not sure that,
with the possible exception of the gigantic room-size and supercomputers of
the past, a single pc sitting silently in a museum exhibit says much.  And
I'm not sure the extent to which we can fire up all of these babies in a
gallery space.

Good luck!

Claudia Nicholson
former Curator-of-Everything-Else