From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 07:03:20 -0500
Your problem reminds me of a time, some twenty years ago, when two
neighbours and I were waiting for a bus near the recently landscaped
entrance to a local "professional" building. Large beds of shrub roses had
been planted and, within a few weeks, the local teenagers, too lazy to walk
a few steps around them, had cut paths through most of the beds. We were
discussing how the problem could have been avoided.

I suggested that it would have been better to have followed the practice of
many parks, waited to see where the natural paths were, and landscape around
them. The first neighbour, an Intelligence lieutenant-colonel, thought that
if a small picket fence were installed, the kids would respect it. My other
neighbour, a naval lieutenant commander and naval architect, replied, "I'd
sow the whole bloody area with small anti-personnel devices!"

There are times, in May and June, when the savage hordes descend on us, when
I have fervently wanted to do the same.

But kids aren't all bad.

"Do I love children?
Yes I do!
Boiled, broiled or in a stew."

I wish I had some useful advice, but I do sympathize!

Have a good weekend.

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]