From:
Curator Fort Morgan Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:25:36 -0700
Trent,

You hit my buttons.  I know that wasn't your goal, but...

Let me drop a line about small history museums.  For the most part we were
started by well meaning individuals and run totally by volunteers for the
first part of our existence.  These individuals  gave us an outstanding
foundation to build upon.  They also had the thought process that if it
belonged to a local person it obviously told a local story.  This is not
necessarily how local history is interpreted today, but ...

Now throw in a good old fashion case of ancestor worship, "Well, he did
start the bank, and was on the school board, and was the mayor.  So of
course we want anything of his we can get." Unfortunately this includes the
fifteen guidebooks from his trip to Iran in the mid-1970s.  Try getting rid
of just one of those guidebooks and there will be unpleasant repercussions.
Not only do his children and grandchildren know every item donated from his
estate but they are one of the largest single source of funds for the
operation of the museum.  Do you really want to tell them the items they
want to donate don't work for you?

And on multiple items.  Do you want a WWII army uniform?  I have the one
that belonged to the owner of the newspaper, an automobile dealership, two
mayors, three city councilmen, one superintendent of schools, and a few
ranchers.  Almost every one was part of a larger collection where the choice
was all or nothing.  By taking them all we have acquired some wonderful
furniture, unique photos, military and community memorabilia, and other
items that have fleshed out our holdings.

Yes, in a perfect world every museum starts off with an ironclad collections
policy, there focus and mission never changes, they have always been run by
professionals, and the public is generous and understanding.  In the real
world it doesn't happen like that.

And now I will step off my soapbox.

Nikkie Cooper, Curator
Fort Morgan Museum