From:
Raelyn Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 19:55:03 +0900
This is probably the first in a series of requests for information, advice, and
assistance.

The University Museum at the University of Tokyo is planning an exhibition in Se
ptember; actually the museum wil be having a grand re-opening to celebrate its n
ew status (which is difficult to explain briefly, and if you are interested you
can either ask me individually or wait for my book...).  One aspect of the plann
ed exhibition will focus on Japanese (and other) typography and printing.

Another aspect of the grand re-opening is the use of new technology; the museum
is going on the WWW and they plan to make maximum use of multimedia equipment in
 the galleries.

So...I have been asked to help find images we might be able to use on a CD-ROM (
for sale at the museum, maybe, and/or to view in the gallery) related to typogra
phy and printing - especially (but not limited to) Japanese materials held outsi
de of Japan.  The museum also got a whole bunch of equipment for doing their own
 CD-ROM stuff, including scanners and everything, so I think we are also interes
ted in images that could be digitized here (as well as clip art and other alread
y digitized stuff some folks may have on their computers out there).

I think this raises a number of questions, but on the other hand I don't see why
 it should be so terribly different from any other request for images to use in
a publication - which is common museum business.  I think such permission is fre
quently granted for the cost of the photography and a small fee (if any) and pro
per credit.

Some of the info I have seen on the WWW seems to be from commercial printing com
panies, however, and I get the feeling this project may also include questions a
bout ethics and advertising if we try to ask to use that stuff.

Also, how about using computer terminals in the gallery with the printing museum
/typography WWW sites bookmarked for visitors - anybody done that kind of thing
in an exhibition?  Advice?

You comments and suggestions are welcome; please note that this is TIM Campbell
(although for now I must use my wife's e-mail - the new museum server isn't up y
et...)

Tim Campbell
Visiting Researcher
The University Museum