Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:02:52 -0600
it might have been mentioned briefly, but one thing i would definitiely
recommend is scraping together the money and going to the aam conference -
and others if you can.  meet as many people as possible and put the word out
you are looking....its sometimes surprising how quickly you can form a
network, just by meeting a couple of people.....

my own humble beginning was equal parts serendipity and perserverance, the
latter of which shouldn't be underestimated.  i kept bugging the museum - in
a nice sort of way - about a job opening they had.  as i moved into
managment i encountered the same sort of applicants more than once....people
who's resumes didn't particularly stand out, but who pestered me enough for
me to conclude, 'ok, the only way i'm going to get rid of this is to at
least interview them.'  it took maybe 30 minutes out of my day, but the
return to the museum - at least two people come to mind - were employees who
worked for at least 8 years each....