From:
Peter Dimaso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:21:09 -0500
Hi,

My name is Peter Di Maso, digital imaging editor for the
Canadian Catalogue on CD-ROM at the National Gallery of
Canada. I used the Polaroid SprintScan to generate over
10000 images for the catalogue. We bought ours in 1994 and
it continues to serve us well. We based our purchase on a
review of several slide and flatbed scanners in the Australian
magazine "Digital Design Graphics" (no. 6). We choose it
over other scanners (and over Kodak PhotoCD) based upon
issues of affordability and quality control. It is clearly not
made for archival quality digital images, but rather for project
specific web-based or other multimedia usage. Over three
years I learned to make decent images out of poor-quality or
aged slides by importing the scans directly into Photoshop
(where the real miracles happened). Where possible, I used
4X5 or 8X10 transparencies (on a Microtek ScanMaker III),
but since most of our image stock was on 35mm slide, the
SprintScan became our most valuable tool. It was serviced
twice for minor adjustments by Polaroid (excellent technical
support). For a project like our checklist CD-ROM catalogue,
or an online catalogue or web site, I would recommend it. It
is easy to use, quick, and requires less technical
competence than a good eye for color.

There are other solutions. Better, and perhaps more
expensive, but I can only comment on the equipment I have
actually used. I hope this is helpful. Please write of call if you
have more questions.

Regards,

Peter Di Maso
Digital Imaging Editor