From:
David Haynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 10:07:45 -0600
Here at the Institute we have been using computer type (produced either
with WordPerfect or PageMaker and run out on a HP IIID at 300 dpi) for
small labels for some time now.  We do use a more opaque paper than
regular old xerox bond.  The paper is then dry mounted to either
illustration board or masonite depending on the time we expect the label
to stay up.  We have had no problem with this system.  For larger texts
(up to 18" X 24") we simply PMT the type and mount the PMT.  I have
experimentally enlarged type produced this way 400%, and I believe that it
is sharp enough for silkscreen.  Even so, we still produce photo type in
situations where significant enlargement is necessary.
We are currently planning to acquire a laser printer that will handle 11 X
17 paper at 600 or 1200 dpi.  At the moment these are pretty expensive
($5K-$10K), but by the time we decide and get the paperwork through the
business office, they'll probably be lots less :-).  David

David Haynes, Institute of Texan Cultures, PO Box 1226, San Antonio TX 78294
Voice: 210/558-2248, FAX: 210/558-2218, InterNet: [log in to unmask]