From:
Ikuko INABA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:22:53 -0500
I was surprised to know from recent discussions on the list
and from my museum- job-search (ongoing, difficult, of course!)
that conditions and situation of museums and museum staff in the United
States
are also such difficult. I came to study at the graduate school in U.S.
because
I wanted to learn developed and democratized museum system and cultural
policy
to improve the terrible environment for art and museums in my home country,
Japan.

Now I am involved in a committee trying to reform Japanese museums system,
related law, and evaluation standard et al by advocating to the government.
I am requested and sponsored by a foundation in Japan
to research on some museums in the U.S. as models esp. in terms of
management, operating system, and evaluation system to apply to Japanese
museums,
 (since some national museums are under the process of transition to
non-governmental,
that means the government largely cut off the subsidies and require them to
raise their own funds,
develop operating system and manage institutions effectively, without proper
laws and
system prepared for it )

I need your suggestions on which museums I should choose to make a research
as good examples. It is just the beginning and brainstorming is needed.
I will make a report on American models and a proposal for new museum system
in Japan.

Which museums in the U.S. do you think for example
1) have improved or successfully reformed (and how)
2) have advanced systems in management, evaluation, administration
3) have highly rated or got better in terms of operation, collecting and
exhibiting, educational activities...
5) practice remarkable activities and evaluation
etc...
Any suggestions to select and comments are welcomed.
I will visit some museums in several cities in U.S. this July and August,
to make a research and some personal interviews. (NY and DC are musts)
If you could give me contact info of someone or yourself  whom I can visit
or call or e-mail,
it would be also very helpful.

Thank you for your help again!!
Iku