From:
Angela Kipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:58:30 +0200
Hi April,

I think you have seen some good suggestions already, so I just want to
throw in just a minor addition:

During your research you found next to nothing concerning service
animals in the museum as a workplace. You were right to ask your
peers, because the policies you are looking for are likely to be
internal documents, nothing you put on your website as a museum. You
wouldn't put your art handling procedures and disaster plan there, so
why the policy about service animals behind the scenes? It seems that
no one on this list has one and this is a good indicator that few
institutions have one. Maybe that's a little nudge from the universe
to explore the topic further and write something about it, make a
thesis out of it? Maybe something that explores the possibilities how
to integrate a service animal in a collections work environment?
Researching the possibilities already mentioned, accomodate reglations
from helathcare and food processing industries, find new solutions for
securing collections spaces and labs,... This could help professionals
who are in the same situation as you are as well as institutions who
are confronted with the issue and don't know how to deal with it.

Further, if you discover during your research that you like sinking
your teeth into this kind of complicated issue with a lot of grey
areas you might well be collections manager and registrar material!
It's easy to think that there is a law and you follow it with a policy
and that's that. If the laws were always 100% clear we wouldn't see
lawsuits all over the place. In real life you are often confronted
with conflicting laws and ethics, like this one where you have to find
a path between the protection of your collection and making the
necessary accommodations for your employee who needs his/her service
animal. You have it with loan agreements between the laws of different
states, with copyright, with donor requests,... If you like to be
creative to find possibilities and ideas to make the conflicting
requirements match, working in collections management might be a good
career path. If you find it stressful, look out for other areas of
collections work.

Best of luck!
Angela

Angela Kipp
Collection Manager
TECHNOSEUM, Mannheim, Germany
www.technoseum.de

Join the Registrar Trek at http://world.museumsprojekte.de/
Follow us on Twitter @RegistrarTrek

The views expressed are my own. My museum can't be held responsible
for anything I write.