From:
Catherine Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:48:07 -0700
I would be interested in replies on list with comments as well on the value of
a MS/MA in education.  I have a similar science background (MS engineering) and
have been working in an education setting.  In moving into a museum career,
what degree would be more valuable, the Museum Studies degree or a masters in
informal science/math education?

Thanks, Catherine

Quoting Meagan Smith <[log in to unmask]>:

 Hello all,
 I have applied to graduate school for both Museum Studies and an MBA for this
 coming fall. As the deadline for making a decision comes closer, I am
 wondering how to make the best decision. I have a science background, and have
 worked for a non-profit for the past two years. I am interested in science
 education and felt Museum Studies would be a great option given that I am not
 interested in teaching in a traditional classroom setting. I also applied to
 some top-ten business schools, thinking that if Museum Studies programs did
 not work out I would try and pursue a more general degree and hopefully
 transition back into the non-profit and/or science field post-MBA.
 My questions to this list are:
 1.  How useful is an MBA in trying to pursue a career in the museum field?
 What advantages
 would it give me over other potential job candidates?
 2.  What advantages does a Museum Studies degree give a candidate that an MBA
 would not?

 Thank you in advance.

 I can be contacted off-list at [log in to unmask]

 Meagan Smith

 MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service:  2 months FREE*

 The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
 . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
 one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
 message should read "help" (without the quotes).

 Museum-L" (without the quotes).