From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:52:06 -0800
Five of my utility career years (two years, and then
later three years) were spent in a training
environment.  I also am duly certified as having the
inattentive type of attention deficit (and, no, it's
not a bad thing; rather, I consider it a gift! smile),
so let me offer a couple of insights here.

Distance learning can be a very effective tool.  It
can get education to those who otherwise can't get out
to it.  It can, if designed correctly, provide enough
intellectual stimuli to encourage the student to
learn.

Not all distance learning programs are effective.
Some can be just plain frustrating if they are not
properly designed so that the student can get answers
to questions they have that surround the topic.  Some
need a person in real-time or a source to which they
can go to get the kinds of answers having a professor
MAY provide.

With that said, not all students are able to learn
using distance learning.  I know I personally do
better in a one-on-one or classroom environment.  It's
faster for me that way.  Since my mind is inattentive,
if it's not a riveting subject matter to me whereby I
hyperfocus (zoom into it to the exclusion of
everything else), my mind is just as apt to flit
thither and yon, and something that should have taken
20 minutes to do can take 2 days.

Before you say that ADHD is just a kid thing, it's
not. It's just that it was largely undiagnosed for
those in the Boomer Generation and beyond because it
wasn't fully recognized by the DSM until 1968. And
kids don't just grow out of it since it has to do with
the reuptake of dopamine, issues surrounding the
neural synapses, and the size of the frontal lobes of
the brain.  The inattentive type is often found in
women and just as apt to be undiagnosed.
Hyperactivity is a little easier to spot.  See this
editon of Scientific American for more insights:
http://www.sciam.com/1998/0998issue/0998barkley.html

So, if you're considering distance learning for your
staff, you may wish to assess some of their individual
needs and make accommodations as necessary.

Consider the objective.  If your objective is to
provide an education, you may have to consider
multiple resources.  If you're looking to cut costs,
you may wish to accommodate an employee who needs a
different type of learning environment by giving them
paid time off to take the course at their expense in a
classroom environment.

--- Greg Koos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dr. Botstein is aparently threatened by other models
> of learning. Too
> bad...
> Greg Koos

=====