From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:15:36 -0500
On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:24:54 -0500 Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> My frustration is that everyone wants education and experience, but
> no one
> will pay for either... Obviously, whomever hires me is going to get the

> benefit of
> hiring someone way over qualified and very dedicated.
>
> My goal in posting was to point out that there was frustration on
> both
> ends...possible employees and on those who need help...  My time and my
current
> level of
> experience are worth $9 / hour.  Especially considering I could get
> twice
> that in the for-profit sector.

We can wax eloquent about our perception of the value of museums in other
countries, cities, and states, but each of us has to decide what it is
worth to her/him. Do not idealize the museum environment in other
countries in your frustration. It is a travesty that many collections in
Europe including now the former Soviet Union cannot afford proper
security to keep their collections in tact against theft. The collections
may have begun as the personal items of royalty or as the spoils of war,
but many are not secure. Many of those items which we now consider "works
of art" began their lives as the products of superbly trained artisans
who worked for royalty while most people were working in agriculture.

Lori, treasure the fact that your husband supports your interests.
Perhaps you will be able to earn what you believe you are entitled to
receive, or perhaps you may earn less to work at a job you enjoy.

I have looked for work when I was told I was overqualified for the
positions avaiable. Believe me that after working as hard as you have to
get an education, it is no fun to learn you are "over-qualified."

It was not until 20 years later that I attended my first meeting of the
Texas Association of Museums, where I learned two of the universities in
Texas had Museum Studies programs added since I got my MA in History.
That was five months after my supportive husband had died. (He was a
medical doctor and I was his office manager. Not my field of training.)

Now I work for half of what I earned seven years ago, but I can walk to
work when the battery dies in my 14 year old car. I have worked my way
from being a member of the board and fulltime volunteer to convincing the
board they need a full-time employee. I write grants, I post deposits, I
handle collection and registrar matters, I answer visitor questions, and
I love being able to spend my time learning more about our county's
history and adding to our library and collections. And I send myself to
TAM each year to improve my professionalism. (It was through TAM that I
gained access to this list, thanks Katie.)

It was but 200 years ago that some private citizens began to share their
hodge podge collections with outsiders for a fee. Remember even our
treasured Smithsonian was but a fledgling 150 years ago when a man from
my county sent them weather reports.

The NEH and the NEA are but 30 years old.

We are growing and developing in our appreciation for the cultural
aspects of life. 100 years ago my county was busily cutting out the
virgin forest and growing cotton and corn. Those extension agents you
disparage did believe it was a calling when they spent 80+ hours a week
teaching people how to eat a balanced diet, can food for the winter, plow
rows across a hill to save crops and soil, etc. As a result of their fine
efforts, you sit in a big city wanting high wages to enjoy working at a
recreational activity.

Continue your crusade! Good luck to you. But please, quit doing it while
walking over the bodies of those you consider in your way. It may be
mine.

Mary Kirby
Historic Upshur Museum
Gilmer, TX

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.