From:
Amy Friend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:50:17 -0500
I would like to hear from museums that hold functions in gallery spaces and
grapple with issues of flash photography and videotaping during these events.
I apologize for any confusion.  My post was intended to read:

I would like to hear from museums that hold functions in gallery spaces and
grapple with issues of flash photography and videotaping during these events.

We have a policy that PROHIBITS the use of flash, tripods, and videocameras
in the Museum, however, we found that this policy was too restrictive for
evening functions. Clients for weddings, in particular, wanted to be able
to take photographs. As a compromise, we allow each client to have a
professional videographer or photographer. Those individuals are able to
use flash and tripods. Guests attending the function, however, must follow
our normal policy. There is some concern that this policy is still too
restrictive. Our concern is that we do not have a separate function
room. These functions are held in exhibit spaces where objects could be
damaged by repeated exposure to flash.

How have you handled this situation? Do you have an policy that you are
willing to share?

Contact me on or off list. Thank you.

Amy Friend
Curator
Museum of Transportation 617-522-6547, ext. 23
15 Newton Street 617-524-0170 fax
Brookline, MA 02445 [log in to unmask]