From:
Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:45:19 -0500
Andrew Talkov wrote:

> My colleagues argue that using modern items and modern wages to
> illustrate a historical point misses the point – they like the fact
> that they can learn how much a dozen eggs cost in 1860 as part of the
> program. I suggest that we may be missing the real relevance by
> connecting the “simulation” to the daily lives of our visitors more
> directly.
>
> What do you all think?

I disagree with your colleagues. As you describe it, the subject of the
simulation is inflation during the Civil War and the hardship it caused.
The actual prices of actual everyday goods in the 1860s is irrelevant.
If inflation only happened between 1861 and 1865 then I might agree with
them. But it's an ongoing process that spans historic periods. Perhaps
as a compromise you could insert some didactic that explains that during
the Civil War people didn't have sneakers or iPods or MacDonald's
cheeseburgers (mmm...) but had other necessities and luxuries that were
as important to them. Pointing out that what they (1860s era people)
experienced was something that people today still struggle with is a
valid and potentially very engaging interpretive approach.

It sounds like you all need to revisit the specific learning objectives
of that particular simulation and get on the same page. And remind your
colleagues that any one interactive is only a part of a larger story. No
one device/game can teach visitors everything you want them to know and
if you try to make one simulation do too much, you risk muddling its
lesson. Finally, this sounds like a good case for some formative evaluation.

Good luck.

Dan

--
Dan Bartlett, BFA, MA