From:
Jim Endersby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 10:01:18 +1000
I am currently some research into the presentation of evolutionary issues in
Natural History Museums. As part of this, I have been researching the
history of three major exhibitions at the Australian Musuem, here in Sydney,
looking at the way the style of presentation has changed and why it has changed.

As part of my research I have prepared an e-mail questionnaire, which covers
some of the main topics of my research. If anyone who reads this list would
be willing to answer my questions (or if you feel that any of your
colleagues would be interested in answering them), please e-mail me at

Topic in questionnaire:

1. Dioramas (why are they out of fashion?)

2. Realism (can 'realistic' displays accidentally mislead the public?)

3. Personalities and institutions (who ultimately shapes exhibitions?)

4. Entertainment vs. education (does fund-raising conflict with science?)

5. Presenting scientific controversy (is there a conflict between presenting
the processes of scientific debate, and not confusing the public, especially
about evolution?)

NOTE: I have no plans to publish my research at the moment, but if that
situation changes I'll forward a copy of the final paper to anyone who
answered the questionnaire, so that they check that they have been
accurately quoted, before I submit it for publication.

Many thanks, I hope to hear from you.

Jim Endersby
School of Science and Technology Studies
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052, Australia