From:
"Aderman, Ella" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:32:34 -0500
Our totally-county supported historic sites revisited this issue 3 years
ago.  We had always been told we could not charge for anything other
than workshops where the participants went home with materials.  But we
did start to add "suggested donation $2 per person" signs near our
donations jars and in our literature and publicity.  It has made a big
difference in the amount of donations collected, although not up to $2
per person, it still helps.

The timing with the recession also pointed out the value of having free
things that families could do and go to, and we think reinforced an
appreciation for these local resources, for both the local residents who
are paying for them with their tax dollars, and the visitors from out of
the area that come and spend money locally.

Ella Aderman
Pennypacker Mills