From:
Jennifer Legates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:03:26 EST
In light of many entries regarding volunteer work as a possible entryway into
the museum field, I felt I must interject a few words.  Yes, volunteer work
can lead to paid positions in the field.  And in fact, volunteer work is
beneficial for both parties even if it doesn't translate into a job with that
particular institution.

For what it's worth, I must relate an experience I had with a candidate
interviewing to be a volunteer.  During the interview, I asked him why he was
interested in volunteering at the museum.

His response: Because I heard you are linked with the Smithsonian and I want
a job with them .  I figured this would get me in the back door.

As a volunteer coordinator conducting the interview, my response: He's only
in this for the job lead.  For once I explained his supposition was wrong
(the museum is not directly linked with the Smithsonian), he became sullen
and non-responsive.

Lesson-  While you may have an ulterior motive, it's not always wise to be
quite so upfront with your agenda.  And if things don't work out that way,
look for the larger lessons you can learn from the experience.

Jennifer Legates
Curator of Education
Dumbarton House
Washington, DC
(former Volunteer Coordinator B&O Railroad Museum  Baltimore, MD)