From:
Richard Urban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:05:51 -0400
Betsy,

What you're looking for is the field of "usability studies" (See The Usable
Web http://www.usableweb.com)

Jakob Nielsen (Designing Web Usability) is just on of many folks out there
advocating for simple clear design that is based on people's responses and
ability to accomplish tasks.  Nielsen recommends testing designs with groups
of users to work out problems in the design. Many of Nielsen's writings are
also available online at http://www.alertbox.com

Nielsen also addresses the need to write differently for the web as reading
on-screen is very different than on paper.  There are also a number of other
web sites that offer "writing for the web" tutorials as well.

Our colleagues in the library sciences are also working on the issue, see
http://www.lita.org/litapubs/lg7.html

Richard Urban
Web-site Coordinator
The Historical Society of Pennsylvania