From:
Brenda Weatherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:00:00 PST
Cultural Resource Managmement Program at the University of Victoria
````` ````` ````` ````` ````` ````` ````` ````` ````` ````
Our apologies if you have requested information from us recently
and have not yet received it, or if you have not heard back from us
about registrations you sent by mail recently. The Canada Post mail
strike is affecting both our ability to send out requested
information to Canadian addresses, and all of our incoming mail -
including your course registrations.

We are optimistic that the situation will be resolved soon, but in
the meantime, I wanted to recommend to those of you who have recently
registered for courses by mail, or who intend to register in our
upcoming courses, that you either register by fax or e-mail, or let
us know by phone if you have recently mailed a registration.

Our spring brochure will be going out to American and International
addresses early next week. Canadian addresses may not receive the
brochure until the mail strike is over.

Thank you for spreading the word to any off-list individuals who may
have registered in upcoming courses!

Brenda Weatherston, Program Coordinator

For your information, here are descriptions of our first two
on-campus 1998 courses:

    "Exhibition Design And Development"
    January 21 - 30, 1998 with  Alan Graves

Effective exhibition design enables museums to communicate with their
publics and provides a creative, safe, and meaningful context in which
objects can be studied and enjoyed. This intensive, hands-on course
examines the exhibition development process, with a special focus on
the design and museological elements which must be considered in the
creation of exhibitions. Topics include:
*    the roles of exhibitions
*    communicating with the visitor
*    roles of the object
*    conservation considerations
*    visitor flow
*    lighting
*    colour
*    storylines
*    project planning and management
*    temporary and traveling exhibits
*    showcase arrangements
*    production scheduling, installation, and maintenance

Field work, the development of a scale model and a showcase design
project are featured. Course outline available upon request

Instructor: Alan Graves, Exhibition Designer, Royal British Columbia
Museum
Dates: January 21 - 30, 1998
Fee: $589 (Canadian Funds) credit & non-credit options available

    "Toward Self-Sufficiency: Museum Revenue Development"
     February 23 - 28 with Graeme Page

An entrepreneurial approach to revenue generation is the key to
greater financial stability for many museums and other cultural
heritage organizations. This intensive course explores changing
funding realities, expectations, and opportunities, and develops your
ability to:

$    balance mandate, mission and funding
$    identify appropriate revenue sources, including admission
fees, gift shops, mail order sales, food services, facility
rentals, professional and consulting services, and licensing
images and products
$    project and manage revenue income
$    anticipate management and human resource implications
$    consider ethical and legal issues
$    develop marketing strategoes amd address public relations
concerns

Instructor: Graeme Page, Associate Director, Communications and
Development for The Banff Centre for Management and Principal,
Graeme Page Associates
Dates: February 23 - 28, 1998
Please register by: January 26
Fee: $589 (Canadian Funds) credit & non-credit options available

Travel: Victoria is easily accessible by air or ferry from both
Vancouver and Seattle Accommodation: Program staff are pleased to
provide you with on-campus and off-campus alternatives for a variety
of budgets

*Distance Education*
We are also offering "Museum Information Management" by distance
education in January.

 For more information, please contact:

Joy Davis or Brenda Weatherston
Cultural Resource Management Program
Division of Continuing Studies, University of Victoria
Tel: (250) 721-8462
Fax: (250) 721-8774

Brenda Weatherston, Program Coordinator
Cultural Resource Management Program
Division of Continuing Studies, University of Victoria
PO Box 3030, Victoria B.C. Canada V8W 3N6
Phone (250) 721-6119 Fax (250) 721-8774
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Visit our Web Site! http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp/
Distribution List: To receive bi-monthly updates, send a request to

UPCOMING LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR MUSEUM & HERITAGE PROFESSIONALS
On Campus Courses:
Managing Cultural Organizations Nov 26-Dec 5
Exhibit Design and Installation Jan 21-30
Managing Natural History Collections Feb 11-20
Museum Revenue Development Feb 23-28
The Fabric of Heritage Buildings March 4-13
Approaches to Repatriation March 23-28
Cultural Landscapes April 15-24
Toward a Museology of Reconciliation May 11-16
Distance Education courses:
Museum Information Management Jan-April