From:
Jim Czarniecki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 11:32:18 CST
On Mon, 12 Dec 1994 16:47:23 -0500 (EST),
Anthony G. Hirschel  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Susan,
>There was a big show of Chicano art a few years ago that was much discussed
>because members of the community had a very substantial degree of control
>over all aspects of the exhibition.  It was a vast and complicated exhibition
>to organize, as you might guess. . .

Susan, Anthony, The show you are refering to may have been the _Cuba/USA_
exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art (more correctly Latino/a than
Chicano) organized by Fondo del Sol (Wash. DC) of works by first generation
Cuban-American artists. Then again, it could have been the show that UCLA's
Wright Gallery organized, called _COBRA_ I think . . . I can't remember if
it was shown in Chicago. Incidentally, for an "ongoing" program of
community control of curatorial activity you may wish to check out two here
in the Twin Cities: at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts you'll find the
Minnesota Artist Exhibition Program (MAEP) which is selected and curated by
"elected" members of the local working artist community; and at Minnesota
Museum of American Art (formerly Minnesota Museum of Art) is the
Partnership Program; begun in 1987, the museum turns over large portions of
content, programming, design, and marketing decisions to select community
groups and volunteers for three or four of its exhibitions annually.