From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 05:50:47 -0500
Katrina;

I'm glad you asked that question!!!

One of the major problems in collecting oral history is identifying the
kinds of information you want to collect and developing a standard format
for recording it BEFORE you get started.

Unfortunately, the people you will be interviewing won't follow the flow of
your format, but you can use it as a checklist to ensure that you have tried
to collect information with respect to each topic that interests you.

If you DON'T use a format common to all your interviews, it is difficult to
arrange your data in a form which others can later use quickly or
efficiently.

I suggest you call your local DVA office and get the telephone number of
Neil Robinson, their deputy legal counsel in Charlottetown. While Neil is a
lawyer by trade, he is also an historian who is extremely good at
interviewing people - and he has collected a LOT of oral history for DVA. On
top of that, he's a very pleasant chap who will be only too happy to help
you. Sort of reminds you of the lawyers' own saw about their patron saint,
viz.,

"Sanctus Ivo
Erat Breto
Avocato et non latro
Res miranda populo!"

(Saint Yves was a Breton
A lawyer yet not a thief
A thing everyone marvelled at!)

Cheers,

Harry Needham (late Canadian War Museum)