From:
Dennis Kois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:23:11 -0500
I sent this directly to the original poster of the question, but since
others are responding to the list, I'll do the same.

It is interesting to see the disparity in total days off, from a total of
just a week or two including holidays to 8 or even 9 weeks total (like us).
Hmmm... I've always wondered why its so hard to get hold of the staff of
some institutions (and I'm sure some of you have wondered the same about
mine). Now I guess we know why!

(copied email follows)
At the Met all professional staff (ie not hourly, such as guards/admissions
staff, etc.) receive a minimum of 20 days (4 weeks) paid vacation beginning
as soon as they are employed.

Some higher grades of staff (senior staff positions) begin with 27 days.
Less senior positions begin with 20 days, then increase to 25 days (5
weeks) after 8 years employment, and to 27 days (5 weeks, 2 days) after 15
years employment.

The Met also has 16 staff holidays in addition to annual leave (we have so
many, in part, because many of our technical staff (carpenters,
electricians, plexi shop staff, etc.) are unionized and therefore have many
negotiated holidays off- and then the rest of staff gets them, too).

This means that in total, one can have as many as 43 days- 2 months, 3
days- off per year.

I hope the original poster lets us know her results- I'm interested to see
how things average out.
Dennis Kois
Design Department
The Metropolitan Museum of Art