From:
Peter Trowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 11:56:33 +0100
Here in Glasgow, our building is receiving more organised visits from
museums, galleries and heritage organisations from around the world than
ever before!

What has become clear is that many of the groups' museum-based organisers
would have found it considerably easier had they been able to deal directly
with one of the 'host' institutions themselves. As 'hosts' we're often in a
much better position to recommend an itinerary and even things such as
local hotels, restaurants etc., than an independant agent/organiser would
be, who is sometimes thousands of miles away.

It's really about communication with people who are already in the know and
I'm sure that a lot of issues could be more easily addressed if links could
be established between the museum/friends' group etc. (who are doing the
traveling) and a 'host' museum who could be paid in some way to put
together the itinerary in the first place. By doing so, the need for an
independant agent is greatly reduced, the host museum is guaranteed a
'return' for doing some of the initial work, and the travelers themselves
will hopefully benefit from a tour that has been put togther by like-minded
souls in the same profession.

And now for the advert !  If anyone on the list is planning a future group
visit to Scotland and particularly to Glasgow, let us know and we'll see
what we can do.

Peter

Peter Trowles
Taffner Curator, Mackintosh Collection