From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:17:24 -0800
Tracie, very well said.

If you are not on-the-mark as to the mission of the
institution, how do you protect it when someone else
takes your vague and succinct verbiage and decides to
turn it into something it was never intended to be?

Further, how can you justify your nonprofit status if
you don't have a mission you're attempting to satisfy?

Mission statements are important.  Getting staff and
board members to embrace them is equally important.

--- Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Mary-
> Mission statements are very important and often we
> do not take the time to
> learn how to write a good and effective mission
> statement.  It is not enough
> to be short and to the point, but it also needs to
> state what you are trying
> to do.  I have found that many non-profits (museums
> included) do not truly
> understand what is a good mission statement. While a
> graduate student in the
> 1990s I took a wonderful non-profit management
> course and was introduced to
> a terrific resource: "Managing the Non-profit
> Practices" by Peter F. Drucker.  It does not look at
> only museums but at all
> non-profits and has a wonderful section on mission
> statements and goal
> setting.  It is also very easy to read and
> understand which is an added
> bonus.
>
> I hope that this helps
> Tracie Evans
> Collections Manager
> Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
> www.texasranger.org

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414