From:
Chris Musello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:37:21 -0400
Teresa: Thanks for the link to the article. I found the IMAGE of the sculpture (I have not seen the real thing) very disturbing. It hits a raw and painful nerve and , for me, it seems too soon to take a detached look at something like that. As Americans we feel that we have the right to say anything out loud. If others don't like it, they should look away. Contrast that with the way the flow of information is regulated in traditional societies. The flow is controled in order to insure the integrity of information and to help maintain the sensibilities, beliefs, and values of the group. We simply can't enforce a set of sensibilities in our society - let alone values or beliefs - and that creates alot of stress and dissonance within our diverse population. Is it really censorship to suggest that a piece of art  "hurts too much"? Do  we threaten a crucial value (freedom of expression) if we try to reach consensus on what might simply be offensive to too many people?
Best,
Chris Musello