From:
Stacey Suyat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:56:47 -0400
Hello!
I serve as chair of the AAM Asian Pacific American
Professional Interest Committee. Our organization
participates in the AAM Diversity Coalition along with 6
other organizations listed at the end of this message.
Together, we are developing a scholarship fund to enable
museum professionals from diverse backgrounds to attend the
AAM annual conference. Below is an announcement about a
challenge gift we've received from an anonymous donor. We
hope to garner broad support for this effort from around the
museum commnunity and to take full advantage of the gift.
Should you have questions about the scholarship fund or the
Diversity Coalition, please write to me off list at
Thank you!

The AAM Diversity Coalition is pleased to announce that an
anonymous donor to the AAM Annual Meeting scholarship fund
has pledged to increase the gift by $1,000 if it is matched
by the cumulative contributions of other museum
professionals.  The match deadline is December 15, 1999.  To
help
in meeting this challenge gift, please make your check out
to "AAM
Diversity Scholarship Fund" and mail to the AAM Development
Department,
1575 Eye Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20005.  For
further
information contact the AAM development department at (202)
218-7700 or
email [log in to unmask]  This scholarship money will
be earmarked
for museum professionals from diverse backgrounds.
Matching the gift can
provide up to six scholarships for museum staff. The
donor's gift
stipulates that volunteers (docents) and museum studies
students, are also
eligible to receive funding.

Please tell anyone and everyone who has ever received
scholarship
opportunities in the past that this is a golden opportunity
to "double"
the impact of their dollars.  We need the support of our
members who will
be able to attend annual meeting without financial
concerns, so the East
coast professionals should be a good source for donors.
This is a giant
step forward for the AAM Diversity Coalition initiatives
and I am sure
there is more good news on it's way!

Thank you for your support!

The AAM Diversity Coalition consists of:
AAM AIDS Network
AAM Alliance for Lesbian & Gay Concerns PIC
AAM Asian Pacific American PIC
AAM Latino Network PIC
AAM Native Americans & Museums PIC
AAM Americans with Disabilities Task Force
Association of African American Museums
Council of Jewish American Museums

Museum-L" (without the quotes).