From:
Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:11:03 -0600
At 07:00  4/1/97 -0500, Jay Fahey wrote:

>Barbara, thanks for the reminder. And I know you're right, but... who sez? I
>really dislike the use of asterisks in place of quotation marks, and don't
>really understand what the underline (underlining nothing) means. Why can't
>quotation marks be used in email? And capitals occasionally? Who sez?
> Thanks!    Jay

It's my understanding that asterisks are used, not in place of "quotation
marks" (which can be used in e-mail), but rather as a substitute for
boldface, italics, underlining, or other means of adding stress or emphasis
to written text -- devices which e-mail does not support.

Otherwise, I agree with the posting.

-- Gene