From:
Alan Sisley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:46:56 -0700
Sophia C Vackimes wrote:

> I need help on a research project which includes seeking information about
> two different sports.
> ***One an Eastern Asian which involves several
> horsemen pulling a beheaded calf out of the ground and competing for

Not quite what you are after perhaps, but I have heard of Australian
koala polo, where the native koala bear is used instead of a ball.

Apparently this sport originated in the 19th century, when koalas were a
lot more common than polo balls. The near spherical form of the popular
marsupial, and its satisfying grunt when thwacked with the mallet are
cited as reasons for this traditional game among Australian bushmen.

I believe that negotiations with the Olympic Committees are currently
underway to secure inclusion in the "special local sport" section of the
2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia.

Alan Sisley
Orange Regional Gallery