From:
Robyne Miles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:43:37 -0800
I've seen some seriously sweeping statements about what we, as museum
professionals, should and should not be doing in our institutions regarding
the exploration of that which we don't understand.

"Michael A. Lewis" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Promoting pseudo-science as a marketing technique is the worst
>bastardization of the museum profession I can think of.
and
>This is baseless superstition.
>It has no place in a medium that alleges to extend the public's knowledge.
and
>     This thread has had nothing to say about Native
> American cultural
> relationships with the spirit. We've been talking
> about EuroAmerican ghosts
> stories and whether they should be promoted in
> museums. There's no reason to
> be saddened, nor any reason to disparage
> "enlightened" individuals.

I missed this days ago in the barrage of messages since, but I'm curious
(and can't bite my tongue)...

Does this mean that it is ok to explore Native American "cultural
relationships with the spirit", but we have to throw "EuroAmerican"
"cultural relationships with the spirit" out the window because they have
not been proven scientifically?

Even further, do you mean to imply that spirits exist in Native American
cultures, but not with us European folk?

And if this is true, is it only acceptable to talk about hauntings in
museums if they are attached to Native American exhibits?

Can you clarify for me which cultures, according to your scientific opinion,
it is ok to explore hauntings in, and which it is not?

What you call "psuedo-science", others of us refer to as metaphysics - the
branch of philosophy that attempts to understand the fundamental nature of
all reality, whether visible or invisible.  Realities that have not been
qualified as "science" - yet.

Or does philosophy have no place in museums, either?

"Enlighten" me, would you?

PS- Indigo... couldn't agree more!
--
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not
to think at all." - Hypatia